Saturday, April 15, 2006

Easter in Taipei

Dear Friends, best wishes for Easter to everyone who celebrates Easter. I like this holiday a lot as it marks new beginnings, new roots, new sprouts, new ideas... I will celebrate the new beginnings with Nikki and Farhaan, and with their expatriate friends over Easter brunch tomorrow. However, the new beginnings will not be happening in Taipei. I have decided not to stay here and here are the reasons.

After staying here for a week I decided that Taipei is not mentally stimulating enough... I found many places during my travels which were amazing in terms of architecture and culture and in which I felt very comfortable (mostly in South America). In Taipei I feel boared already... The people are very nice, really really nice, but very quiet if not to say lethargic... It seems there's not much life here... not many cultural events... it's basically, like in Hong Kong, about business and shopping... It is easy to find a well paid job (the pay for English teachers is between $20-30 per hour and you can get as many hours as you can cope with...) and cheap apartment but I decided I need a place which will enable me to feel that I am mentally expanding. So, since I am so drawn by Spanish culture I decided to go to Spain. I will be going back to Hong Kong as soon as I can get on the plane and from there to Madrid or Barcelona. I feel that I need to be in a place which will offer culture as I know it or which is familiar to me. I basically miss Europe... The only thing which interests me in the Chinese culture is the Chinese medicine (and the Chinese martial arts) so I will have to find a place where I can study it in Europe, hopefully in Spain.

There are virtually no internet cafes in Taipei and the one I am using in Happy Family guesthouse is constantly occupied so I will write when I get to Hong Kong.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home