Monday, January 23, 2006

Leaving for Diu

I am boarding the bus bound for Diu - an island south of Jamnagar, on the south coast of Gujarat. According to the schedule it should arrive at it's destination at 8 pm so, realistically speaking, I will get there sometime around midnight. Nitzan, the Israeli whom I met in Kathmandu, is staying at the Super Silver hotel so I asked him to tell the reception person his Israeli friend is coming and wants the Israeli rate. Isrealis are known to bargain hard for everything so they get very favourable rates for rooms, money exchange, etc. In Kathmandu Nitzan got Nikki, Farhaan and I the special rate when we first got there. When we went to the Israeli restaurant Nitzan would tell us: "you don't have to give a big tip, nobody expects it here." We had a lot of fun regarding Nitzan being and Isreali, him included. So now Nitzan is in Diu and I am going to join him and see if he maybe also goes along my route - it would be better for me to travel with a male companion to avoid all the street harrasment from men. A lone female tourist has a very hard time travelling in India. I don't mind when someone tells me I am beautiful, or stares at me as if I was a Virgin Mary, or wants to talk to me for a few minutes as it happened in other places I visited, but here men "glue" themselves to me, follow me, or even try to grab my arms or my hair. It's very unpleasant... Diu was a Portuguese colony so if I find the beaches and architecture nice, and if Nitzan wants the job of my bodyguard, I will stay there for a few days and I will write more from there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home