Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Puerto Madryn

I see some of what I wrote it just got posted / good.

So when I was on the bus I woke up when the sky got a little pink on the horizon and I watched it become red and then orange and turn into fainter orange and then yellow and then become transparent bright with the rising sun. What the sun illuminated was a vast desert, sometimes just yellow or ash sand, sometimes covered with short yellow grass and bushes. Once in a while I would see a group of cows grazing, and then later a gate leading to an estancia. But the estancia was would be so far from the main road that it would not be seen. The bushes make everything out of proportion, the usual proportion the eyes are used to, and sometime I would see in the distance what looked to be a cow but what turned to be a cow when I came closer to it, or I would see a sheep and it would turn out to be a white plastic bag. Once in a while I would see a plastic bag hanging on the bush, blown there from God knows how far away, or a tire left on the side of the road and that, apart from cows, sheep and dogs, would be it. But sight such as this never is monotonous or boring to me _ I can just watch the horizon for hours. So I watched it until we arrived at noon and disembarked at a small bus station. There was only a few blocks to the hostal I found in my guidebook and I walked admiring the town. El Refugio is a little more expensive than hostals I stayed in before ($6) but it-s very nice, has a very nice bathroom with steaming hot water, heaters in the room, nice kitchen (not that I would cook but it-s a nice gathering place), bike rental, it-s three blocks from the beach, and most of all a 1,4 years old labrador Julian lives there. I was greeted with Julian and we became immediate friends. I chased him around the grassy grounds of the hostal garden and he slumped at my feet in the kitchen exhausted. That day I took a shower, as I always do after 18 hours on the bus, and took a short nap, and went to explore the city. I immediately decided I could live here. Puerto Madryn is a small port town. Although it is a port (with a fish processing plants) the waters around it are pristine clear. The city lives off fishing and turism in the season so it must take great care of its waters so the fish and mamals stay here in great numbers. The port has everything I need to live: a small center with cinema, yoga center, healthfood store, a few cafes and restaurants, nice shops and a bookshop which looks like Barnes $ Nobel. There is a long boardwalk along the main beach in the city and a long molo (a boardwalk going out to the ocean) and at one end of it there-s a yacht club which is a "regular" yachtclub for the Peurto Madryn people, no for some rich folks who live thousands of miles away. I think Puerto Madrynians rent the boats in the season. People are happy and enthusiastic. They ride bicycles and their dogs follow them wherever they go. Dogs are happy, fat and their coat is shining. So this is the city part which I would enjoy if I lived here. And there is the nature part which leaves me breathless... More about in a few minutes because I will write in sections to make sure they get posted without much problemas.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home