Thursday, May 19, 2005

Parque Nacional Tierra del Fuego

The park is very beautiful. It is not very big but all the trails are wonderful. I went on all the trecks along the Canal Beagle (named after a ship on which Charles Darwin sailed here) with beautiful little bays, trecks in the forest and the mountain trecks. I am totally exhausted. It is winter, it's cold (from - 3 degrees Celsius to +8 but mostly +2) and the weather conditions change constantly. The trails were hard because it's either walking in snow or on thin ice (in the mountains) or in deep mud (in the forest) but the views are spectacular. And I did most of the trails by myself which I like the most because I can walk quietly and see all the fauna of the region. I saw many different species of birds including hawks and Austral Parakeets (who would think there would be parrots here!). There's even one type of a humming bird with a transparent tongue but I haven't seen him. Well, the views are brathtaking and I walked for about 7 hours each day. The hostal I am staying at is amazing: people are very warm and cook amazing dishes! Usually when I come back I just slump at the sofa in the living room and remain motionless for some time, then I take off my outerlayers and totally wet shoes and then I just drink beer which is like liquid food... having all the nutrients and easy to swallow and digest... If not for the people who cook amazing dishes (how do they have the strength to do it?) beer would be my only food. They cook such abundance of it that it is shared with everyone around (I sound like a total parasite - I contribute beer). When I came Monday night they immediately made me tea and it was so good to drink it after all day spent on the bus. I will write about my adventures in Tierra del Fuego when I get a computer somewhere in town, most likely in Punto Arenas in Chile where I am heading to tomorrow, because there's a line of people waiting to get to the only computer at the hostal. Muchos besos! I got hit with such huge amount of oxygen that I feel like a new me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home