Sunday, October 02, 2005

Wiselka on the Baltic coast

I came to Wiselka which is a very small village on the western Baltic coast - it's very close to the German border. I am staying at my friend Michal's house. The house is located at the edge of the forest and if you go through the forest you get to the beautiful, long and sandy beach. It is still warm and sunny but the season has ended and the beaches are deserted. There's almost nobody on the strip of the beach 10 km long. Delicious... There's a beautiful cliff hanging over the beach in many places between Wiselka and a small town of Miedzyzdroje. People on the coast are much more relaxed than in my hometown and it seems they truly enjoy the peacefulness of the place... I was waiting for the bus to Miedzyzdroje and a family stopped to offer me a ride. I really like places like this, where people are not affraid of a fellow human being. I walked on the Miedzyzdroje promenade and the boardwalk going into the sea. There's some kind of a "Senior Gathering" in Miedzyzdoje today and many retirees are dressed in traditional clothing from different regions of Poland, they sing folk songs in small groups and there are many folk bands as well. There are not many stands with amber. I wonder why... Maybe because it's the end of season... I eate the traditional seaside waffles with cherry preserve and I am ready to go back the 10 km along the beach to Wiselka. I will observe the seagulls and the waves and enjoy the pure air and the dunes and pine trees growing along the beach. There's no internet cafe in Wiselka - it is really a very small village. I will write more when I go back to Poznan sometime mid-week. Until then warmest hugs to everyone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home