Saturday, April 09, 2005

Still in Santa Cruz

I am still in Santa Cruz, waiting for the yellow fever shot. I think I will get it the day after tomorrow. It got very hot immediately. The rainy season is over. But it's good for me because there's a less chance in the dry season of being bitten by mosquitos coming from selva and being injected with malaria or yellow fever. Santa Cruzeans walk half-naked in a cloud of expensive perfume and I walk in a cloud of insect repellent totally covered by long pants and shirts with long sleves. I put cream on my body and I spray my clothes, including my hat. Hopefuly this will keep the bitting and sucking insects away from me...

I saw the American movie "Hitch" and I laughed hard. I like situational comedy (since the days of Louis de Funes, RIP, movies) so all the ripped pants, people falling on glass marbles, falling of the boats are always very funny to me. But when I was watching the movie, about a consultant helping men arrange dates with women, a thought came to me that this movie must be double hilarious here in South America where the culture of dating is totally different. I don't think a Latino man would ever use a consultant and if he did and it came out, I think the only way to erase the disgrace would be to commit harakiri. Latino men just walk up to women, in parks, on the street, on buses, trains, cafes, etc., and tell them they are beautiful and they would like to meet them. If she shrugs her sholders and walks away it means "no", but if she says "no" it means "yes". It's the beginning of the chase... No woman is going to ask a guy out and she will not go the remaining 10%. If he can't say he likes her and kiss her, he can just get lost. The Polish culture of flirt was similar to South American, now it is a mix of South American and North American - girls do ask men out. But in the time of my early youth (now it's my little later youth :)) that was unheard of. Do you remember the "rip me, rip me! lick me, lick me?" scene from "Lost in translation"? It seems the Japanese culture in woman-man relations is still very different from all of the above - even a prostitute cannot be perceived as an "easy" woman and has to put on a fake resistance. Watching the movie made me realize how differently different cultures must see the picture.

I went to see the movie because all theaters, movie theaters, cafes with music and pubs are open. In the Cathedral there's a big picture of the Pope and special masses dedicated to him are held early evening. People go and pray but life goes on and they also enjoy it. I like this philosphy. When I talk to people they have similar thoughts to mine: when an old and very sick person dies, and especially if his life was fruitfull and noble, it is a reason to celebrate, that he was given the chance to live such long and fruitful life. When a young person dies a sudden death that is most sad. But in any case we are mortal and death can come any time and it's good to feel ready for it always and not be afraid. I like the fact that there's no melodrama connected to the Pope's passing here. Life for us who are still here continues.

The city is preparing for the V International Theater Festival beginning on 14 April. There will be 42 performances performed by various theatrical groups from South America and Europe in various theaters, cultural centers and city parks. The entrance to all performances is free. It looks like a collective effort of the entire town. Sponsors are the various governmental and non-governemental organizations and funds, all supermarkets and smaller stores, tv and radio stations, embassies and consulates, and many individual Senioras y Seniores. Maybe I will stay a few more days to see some of the productions. There's Sarah Kane's "Psychosis" which I missed when it was staged in Ann's Warehouse in December so maybe I can see its Spanish version. And I would like to see Manuel Puig's "Kiss of the Spider Woman" which I saw long time ago in Poland and would like to see again.

I also visited most of the museums around the city - most of them has free admission. I was always the only visitor. The collections are not that great but the buildings themselves are very beautiful with wonderful courtyards, balconies, heavy colonial doors and windows.

I also went to the Mandarin Chinese restuarant which was a very sophisticated place with a pond in front of it and bridge leading guests across, gold fish in the pond, and lots of vegetation around the patio, but the food resembled only a little the chinese food I know from other places... I am sticking to Fridolin.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home