Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Siesta

It is hot, really hot, feels like 100F, and I am at the cybercafe to rest. The weather is wonderful. Except for the few hours mid-day it is nicely worm and dry and then the evenings are cool and a little more humid. I will see Ann tomorrow - she is coming with her husband to Antigua to see a dance performance tomorrow evening and I am going to join them. I found out yesterday that there is this really great Cultural Festival going on in Antigua for another week. There are many theatrical and dance performances, "Tosca", lectures on literature, jazz in the park, etc. I will go to see a few of them. I even attempted to go see "Carmen" yesterday but got lost at the other end of the town and eventually went to see a movie "The Terminal." I really enjoyed watching it. Victor Navorsky is one of my heroes! What I love most about him is his honesty. There are a few movie theaters which look like Cinema Paradiso. They are tiny; sometimes the screen is just an oversized TV. But the movies the theaters show are creme de la creme of world cinematography. I looked at the programs of a few of them and I saw all the movies by all the great movie directors. To name a few on schedule: Salvador, Talk to Her, Strawberries and Chocolate, Shower, The Bridge, Buena Vista Social Club, Monty Paython's The Life of Bryan. I don't know what do people watch on cable here but the movie theaters serve good movies.

I met today Miriam and Luis who own a jewerly store. They sell jade so they told me the nuances and history of jade and I, in turn, told them about the history of amber. They got very interested in the amber jewerly I make so if I can get some suplies from the Baltic Sea maybe I can make some for them. This is my second day here but I already feel very antsy, I got to work! I thought I would be resting, lying on benches in the park, sitting by fountains, reading, etc., etc. for the first week but no, I already feel I have to do something of substance!

Yesterday I walked through many streets. I am going to continue the walk today. I am just amazed still with the beauty of the buildings (I look out for details such us wood carvings, window panes, door knobs and locks - the beauty lies in details), the streets (and how clean they are) and mostly with beautifuly tiled bathrooms; and with smell of coffee coming out of smallest cafes, women dressed in the traditional heavily embroidered blouses and carrying babies on their backs, little stands with tacos and fresh fruit juices, school kids dressed in nice and simple school uniforms looking like the ones I once wore. The town is surronded by hills and volcanoes. One of them is active and if I am not mistaken I saw smoke coming out of it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home